Old and new late model photos

Discussion in 'The Skybox' started by Toywagon, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Toywagon

Toywagon Member

2. Toywagon

Toywagon Member

Man the lexan wings on these cars are HUGE!

Check out this link to page 31. I hate to post this guys pics without permission, so Im just linking over to his posts on that site.

Ron do you have pics from this era of late model racing, where the guys ran all the lexan?

http://www.ncdirtracing.com/forums/show ... 05&page=31
  3. Keith Pratt

Keith Pratt Keith Pratt

Hey man A+ on the link. The lexan wings have gotta make a come back.
  4. Bluedog

Bluedog Member

Great link and good old pics. Thanks Jim.
  5. DirtFan55

DirtFan55 Member

No doubt! Thanks Jim. That sure brings back some fun memories. When the wedge cars started getting pretty wild, we couldn't wait 'till the next year to see what else they had dreamed up. Some guys back then were true innovators with an imagination. I kind of wish there was a series that ran the wedge cars. TRAVIS
  6. Keith Pratt

Keith Pratt Keith Pratt

Check out this car in picture 24. It looks like a mid engine late model. I had read something years ago about a car like this but I think it was about Charlie Swart. This picture says this driver is Loy Alan. Either way it looks kinda cool.http://www.ncdirtracing.com/forums/show ... 505&page=2
  7. DirtFan55

DirtFan55 Member

Yea Keith it looks like it a little. I seen Swartzs mid engine car at the Dirt Latemodel Hall of Fame in Florence, Ky. The cockpit is directly behind the nose piece of the car. It's wicked! If you'll go the DLMHoF website, I think they have pictures of it with him driving it in the infield in the 2006 induction. TRAVIS
  8. Toywagon

Toywagon Member

Maybe Mr. Mitchell will dust off some of his older files and find us some lexan late models?

Jim
  9. Keith Pratt

Keith Pratt Keith Pratt

Hey Travis, I googled around a bit and found this link. It has a couple cool picks of Swartz mid engine car. I would like to have seen this mutant on the track. I bet Ron has a few. It would be kinda cool to see them. http://www.mrmracing.net/gallery2/main. ... emId=30825
  10. Keith Pratt

Keith Pratt Keith Pratt

Ok last one. This is the link to the National Dirt Hall of Fame. It has more pictures of the car. I was hoping to find something on YouTube. I found a clip of Swartz qualifying, but not in http://www.dirtfans.com/CharlieSwartz.htmlthe mid engine hot rod.
  11. i have a album of 8x10s of alot of old stuff im sure the mid engine car is in there
  12. DirtFan55

DirtFan55 Member

Thanks Keith. That was defiately some innovation by Swartz and the guys. Around '79 or '80, Jerry Inmon from Mississippi designed a 4wd late model with a fiberglass Corvette body. If I remember right he only raced it a few times and then they outlawed it. I'd like to find some pictures of that car. I talked to him at the SHOW-ME this year and he still has it. TRAVIS
  13. if anybody would like to see it i can bring it sat night to spfd some kool pics in there
  14. jerry inmon is one kool guy he went with us a couple years ago on our cruise he can teach you a few things about blackjack :wink:
  15. Keith Pratt

Keith Pratt Keith Pratt

I found another forum of some guys talking about Swartz car. Those guys was saying that they did build two cars. One for Swartz and one for Loy Allen. It said Swartz ran his car two times, finished 1st and had a 2nd. Then it was outlawed. Allen ran his car one time and parked it in the fence. A guy on the forum posted a pic of the wrecked car. It was already loaded on the trailer and the pic was from the back. But it looked like if the car had not been outlawed the would of had to build a third car. Can you imagine the stones it would take to drive one of those cars. In any crash the driver is gonna get to it first. And I think I remember seeing what looked like a yellow corvette in those pics from the first link that toywagon posted. I'm gonna go look.
  16. DirtFan55

DirtFan55 Member

Really neat stuff guys. YES RON! bring your old stuff Saturday. I'd like to look at it. Thanks. TRAVIS
  17. Toywagon

Toywagon Member

Ron,

Im far far away on the weekends. Any chance you could maybe pick a few of your favorites and scan them in? I know that takes alot of time, but it would be cool to see them on our forum over here.

Im gonna go back over to that forum if you come up with pics they dont have, and put a link for those guys to come over here and check them out!

Jim
  18. JimBo

JimBo Yuk Yuk Yuk

Bill Frye had a 4 wheel drive Late Model back in the day didn't he? Anybody seen any pics of this?
  19. DirtFan55

DirtFan55 Member

I don't remember Frye having a 4WD car but it's possible. Over the years I've seen a few drivers run over others like they were in a 4x4. :mrgreen: It's fun to look back on the history of the sport and to see how advanced they are now. Back then the drivers and crews learned things by trial and error. There weren't any places to go to get info on how to make a car work because no one else knew much either.